The Computer Description can be quickly edited from the Computer Overview. See how you can edit the Computer Description, where it is used in Watchman Monitoring, and how you can utilize this feature.
Computer Description Display
The Computer Description is not only displayed on the Computer Overview, but is also displayed on Tickets, and the Computer Overview PDF.
The Computer Description is reported in all tickets generated by the computer. Information in the Description can be used for sorting within your ticketing system. Learn more about Configuring email alerts for ticketing systems.
The above example is from an HTML Alert Notification.
The above example is from an plain text Alert Notification.
Computer Overview PDF
The Computer Description is displayed on the Computer Overview PDF. Learn more about Computer Overview PDF.
Editing the Computer Description
The Description Field can be used for:
- Location of the Machine
- Whose machine it is
- Purchasing Details (Date, Supplier, etc.)
- Accessories included (monitor(s), keyboard, mice, printer, scanner, etc.)
- Usage (RIP, FTP, File Server, etc.)
- Additional data to help sort emails in ticketing systems such as Autotask, Connectwise, or Web HelpDesk
- Anything else you would like to see in tickets
Storing of passwords in the Computer Description is highly discouraged.
When viewing a Computer Overview, under the Status Icons is the Computer Description. The Computer Description defaults to First reported on... for an installed client or Redeemed by... for Enrollment Codes.
Edit the Computer Description by clicking the pencil icon, or in the Edit tab > Description.
This will expand the Description into an editable area, where you can add in your Description Detail.
Click the green ✓ (checkmark) to save your changes. (Clicking the X will cancel the change.)
For Time related notes, please see the Notes in Watchman Monitoring for more information.
You can edit identifying information about the computer including its Description, Display Name, and Asset ID.
- The Description will appear below the overall machine status icons and defaults to First reported on... for an installed client or Redeemed by... for Enrollment Codes. Learn more about Computer Description Editing.
Click Save to save any settings changes made to the Computer Record. Navigating away from the page will also confirm leaving the page, if settings changes have not been saved.
How can this article be improved?
Please sign in to leave a comment.